Sunday 14 January 2024

ALL XE OM, all the time

Every time I am in Vietnam, I post photos of different xe om (scooter) configurations. Ho Chi Minh City is very stylish, this year I wanted to record some of the different styles and accessories on the scooter drivers. 

There are a couple of different Vietnamese ride-share apps. You can get a ride on this scooter through the Be app. Spiffy jacket, right?

Ride shares with the green jackets and helmets
are through the Grab app.

People regularly sit, sleep, eat, and work
while sitting on their parked scooters.





I think this person was transporting cotton balls.

People regularly wear gloves and arm coverings to protect from the sun, and put aprons over their lower half to protect their clothes while driving.



High heels and super fashionable.


Lots of curbside coffee and snack vendors that you pull up to on your scooter. This vendor is selling a sweet corn + rice combo
and sticky rice snacks.


From my Grab car ride back to the hotel one afternoon.


My mask is hiding my big goofy grin-- this was my xe om ride to the HCMC Pediatric Hospital each morning. The driver is one of the hospital physical therapists, who I've known for 10 years. Here is our exchange getting things set up over Zalo, with all safety assurances 😁: 


I had a lot of practice using Zalo, the Vietnamese texting platform, this year-- families, doctors, drivers, therapists were communicating with me over Zalo.  

Next up, working at HCMC Pediatric Hospital #1, the largest teaching and research pediatric hospital in the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment