Tuesday 16 November 2010

Shifting the first of many gears in Can Tho


ceiling damage at the Golf!

Major rains in the last day or so, and the Golf Hotel has taken its lumps from the rain!


I think room rates will go
up next year... 

Our room seems to have escaped any damage, with the exception of becoming the staging ground for the epic battle of Amy vs. Ants.  I seem to be crushing them in my sleep before they have a chance to bite me, for which I am grateful.  I'm not sure who will triumph on this one!  We are sadly missing the gecko lizards that

The surgeries have begun at the General Hospital, so Stacy and I are doing some other work and housekeeping.  We spent the morning back at the General Hospital to see their physical therapy department, where they work with outpatient adults.  It's great that they have some additional space in the new building, and it sounds like they are seeing a lot of patients every day.  They have many questions about what seems like every aspect of physical therapy, and Stacy has volunteered to be a contact for them, which seemed very appreciated.

Doctors and therapists
 at Can Tho General

Got our materials organized for each children's hospital (Can Tho and Saigon), and are looking forward to breaking them out tomorrow! I am also very excited to see our translator, Phuong, who has worked with us in the past.  She has big ambitions to be a fashion designer, and is currently a factory supervisor at a Japanese baseball glove factory here in Can Tho.  She has gotten the next few days off from work, citing her perfect attendance for the last 3 years (!!!), and will work with us again at the Children's Hospital!  We remembered to bring her some hefty fashion magazines from the US.  I'm hoping we'll get a chance to see the baseball glove factory, too!

On the food indulgence side, I was able to find "my delicious lady" last night, remembered fondly from past trips, who serves up a fantastic dessert of black sticky rice, coconut and sugar paste, peanuts, and sesame seeds wrapped in a soft yet crispy thin waffle.  Fits in the palm of your hand.  For 25 cents. 


My "delicious lady" who makes
the black rice dessert

This delight was preceded by a meal at a Buddhist "Com Chay" (vegetarian) restaurant, full of vegetarian soups with shaved mushrooms and melons, and seitan calamari, chicken, and so many wishes fulfilled... :) (I warned you about the food obsession!).  I will be returning for vegetarian pho with stretchy noodles. 


 Here are some other shots from Can Tho so far:

Dr. Jonah Mullens and Dr. Em
together again

 
view from my window of the Mekong River and the "New Bridge", replacing the one that collapsed recently


window view part 2

The Father of all Buns


1 comment: